CLICK HERE for a Video Introduction
ReGreen Springfield, the Springfield Department of Health and Human Services, the Greening the Gateway Cities Program and the US Forest Service have created (4) environmentally based ‘scavenger hunts’ in the city, for folks of all ages. These ‘scavenger hunts’ are located in natural spaces across Springfield. The idea is to go out, explore the great outdoors and learn a bit about the natural world at the same time. For more information, call 413-523-0014.
GET STARTED ON THE ADVENTURES
Why not get out and take part in the outdoor adventures that we have available in the Abbey Brook Watershed, Van Horn Park, and Forest Park. Just follow these simple steps on your smartphone…
- In order to get started, just click one of the links below to find the starting location for any of the individual hunts, on Google Maps.
- Navigate to the starting location, and then just navigate to the START, using the Google Maps app, and begin your adventure.
- Visit each location on the map, and read a bit about the natural element that you find at each location on Google Maps
- Visit each location, and when you are done, visit http://regreenspringfield.org/contests/ and submit your information to receive a Certificate of Completion!
VISIT THESE ADVENTURES SOON…
Van Horn Park West Expedition -Visit https://bit.ly/2CzhKiT
Forest Park Expedition – Visit https://bit.ly/3eq7BCg
Abbey Brook Watershed Expedition – Visit https://tinyurl.com/y65n3mwl
Van Horn Park East Expedition -Visit https://tinyurl.com/y6zn5dc3
TIPS FOR KEEPING SAFE OUTDOORS
- Due to COVID-19, wear a safety mask at all times.
- Maintain a safe social distance of at least 6 feet from all other people.
- Check the weather forecast before you leave the house, to make sure it will be safe for you to be outside.
- Apply insect repellent and sunscreen before you leave the house, and bring some along with you.
- Bring along a bottle, canteen, or ‘camelback’ of water, and make sure you drink plenty, especially on hot summer days.
- Be on the lookout for poison ivy (here is a video to learn more), and be careful to avoid it.
- Watch for ticks and other insect pests, and make sure to check your body regularly (for more information, check out this video)
- Make sure that you can see the trail at all times.
- Tell others where you are going and when you expect to be back in case you lose your way in the woods.
- Bring at least one friend along, and stay with your outdoor companion.
- Wear proper footwear (a pair of sneakers and a high pair of socks), and loose fitting clothing.
- For more information on staying safe outdoors during the COVID-19 crisis, visit this link from the CDC.